Music production software is memory hungry to be sure. Also, most low end Vista systems are sold with less than the obligatory 2 Gig of memory.
I've had good luck with Crucial.com. They have good prices on memory for desktops and laptops running PC and MAC. They also have memory for devices (mp3, cameras). More importantly, they have done their homework when it comes to information regarding memory specs for systems and offer detailed documentation on memory slots, installation and more. They also have some great tools for taking the pain out of finding the right memory for you systems.
I've dug up some links that will save you time and money:
- Crucial Memory Advisor - a wizard tool to help you find memory for your system.
- The Crucial System Scanner takes the guesswork out of upgrading your memory by actually scanning your system and telling you what you have installed, what will fit, and which memory you should buy!
- Memory Upgrade for Windows Vista - Whether you are wondering if your system will run vista or you want to beef up an existing machine, there are cool tools at this link.
- 10% off Crucial RAM for Mac
- Crucial CompactFlash
- Crucial Gizmo! USB Flash Drives