For this Music Monday I’m featuring my live set from yesterday’s Halloween 2011 Online Streaming Concert over at Radio.Electro-Music.com. The 29 minute recording (CC-BY-NC) is a high-fidelity stereo capture from the stream in it’s entirety so get those studio headphones out or play on kick ass system!
Note that the intro was re-recorded later that day as I forgot to turn on the stream recorder till I was 45 seconds in – doh. The rest of the audio is from the actual stream with one edit to remove 30 seconds of dead air when I experienced a minor issue.
1) "Welcome to the Inferno" Sound Design Cue from Inferno Haunted House (recording)
2) "Mad Carnival" Sound Design Cue from Inferno Haunted House (recording)
3) "Icy Caves" Sound Design Cue from Inferno Haunted House (recording)
4) "They Walk Among Us" from REBOOT (recording)
5) "I Can See Them" from the album I HEAR YOUR SIGNALS (performed live on Percussa AudioCubes)
6) "Before We Wake" from forthcoming album (performed ive on Theremin pitch-to-midi with AudioCube )
7) "Dark Signals" from I HEAR YOUR SIGNALS (performed live AudioCubes, keys, Theremin, Tenori-On)
8) "Celebration and Voices" from I HEAR YOUR SIGNALS (performed live on Launchpad grid)
9) "Infected" from REBOOT (recording)
10) "Intercept Transmission" structured improvisation (performed live on Launchpad grid)
- Paul Harriman from Electro-Music who encouraged me to get involved with their online community and also pointed me in the right direction for tools in this regard. Paul you don’t know what you started – lol.
- Jack Hertz for organizing the concert, creating a cool poster, for helping me to test my rig and for taking the time to teach me how to manage connections and hand-offs to electro-music’s ports.
- Gregg Cannady who was kind enough to loan me a Theremin for the show as I broke mine just before the show (long story)
Notes on Studio Modifications for Live Streaming
On a technical note, this concert, and my audio/video broadcast from Boulder to the Pacific Northwest Synth Fest (talk and performance on Percussa AudioCubes) is the culmination of about 4 elapsed weeks of work to reorganize my studio space to accommodate this sort of performance. Part of that is investing the time to become very comfortable adding another layer of elements to manage while I perform live – so lots of rehearsal.
I’ve learned a lot about using a second system to push high-fidelity video through Skype, USTREAM, and a Shoutcast client. This includes ways to monitor my rig and the conversation in the same set of headphones. I’ll do a post on this in the future which should save you time if you want to get into this sort of thing.
For now, checkout this sound check video I did live to USTREAM. Watch the embedded video below or watch the video on USTREAM. I really get the lights going at 3:16 :^) I plan on doing a lot more live online performances so if you want to get notified sign up for my newsletter. I’m thinking about doing some behind-the-scenes videos for those who “Join the Crowd”
With all that I’ll just wish you a safe and happy Halloween!
Electronic/Experimental Music Artist, Boulder, CO
Synthesist | Composer | Keyboardist | Performer