Waldorf has just released Blofeld Firmare V 1.22 – and for owners of the keyboard edition – Blofeld Keyboard Controller Firmware 1.4. The update is free from http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads-blofeld-kb/blofeld-firmware-en.
Please Test Now!
First off, three cheers for Waldorf for putting energy into a synth released way back in 2007! There is no change log in the firmware zip files and instead, Waldorf’s Kay Dee is communicating and taking input for this update via Waldorf Blofeld group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/8492783249/
It’s been a while since Waldorf worked on Blofeld and it may be a while before they circle back, so now is your chance to test and give feedback!
One major reason to update is they are using software to correct for the issue of encoder twitchiness some users have reported. Kay Dee from Waldorf mentioned out on Facebook that if this update didn’t address your issues, you most likely have a hardware issue and should have your unit serviced. There is no change log in the firmware zip file, but I’ve gleaned the following from Kay’s Facebook posts:
- Between the last official version and this version, there were sum interim betas. 1.2 introduced some bugs with gui (sine waveform went missing), phasing problem and jumping value when you turn volume knob. They are fixed.Other value optimization for knobs.
- Sync lfo/arp fix. This was a major complaint with the last official version. I’ve not tested it, but early reports on Facebook indicate sync is much improved.
- Fx fix
- Encoder fix and some system fixes.
- 1.18-> 1.2 fix now you can use two wavetables/samples at osc1+2 at the same time.
- Firmware update/downgrade now possible
- General system Optimization
Blofeld Keyboard Edition Update
- Now you can play a single "Part" with the keys. Changing the Global MIDI channel will change the Part. Omni will play all parts at the same time, so you can use this for layer sounds.
- Mod and pitch wheel will not send random value
- Data transfer from keys to DSP optimized.
How to Install
Grab the firmware from http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads-blofeld-kb/blofeld-firmware-en. Unzip the file and save the .mid files. If you haven’t done so, download the Spectre app (Win/Mac) from http://www.waldorf-music.info/downloads-blofeld-kb/spectre-downloads-en.
Run the Spectre app and plug in your Blofeld via USB.
- Make sure you set the Audio/MIDI options to select Blofeld
- Click the “Upgrade…” button and select each of the firmware .mid files to send the files to the Blofeld. Follow instructions on Blofeld.
So Far, So Good
I upgraded a few days ago. So far, so good.
Thanks to the Waldorf team for circling back and giving the Blofeld some love!